Monday, January 2, 2012

a new year

let me start out with my new year resolutions that i wrote while awaiting the starting of the new year with her.

2012 New Year resolutions

1. maintain my IPPT silver or better - that means running more before the test. i'm determined to get that 400 bucks just becuz i want more money.

2. build a better tank for wugui - have been wanting to do that more years. more imptly for this year, i would want to build a basking platform which is safe so that wugui can get out of the water and dry himself with the sun

3. learn to live a healthy life - my life till now has been rather healthy as my family doesn't really buy soft drinks nor snacks. but lacking in my life is vegetables, fruits... have been eating more vegetables progressively through the recent years, but this year i would like to make an effort eating more and also eat more fruits

4. spend more time with family - as an undergraduate, i have been spending most of my time trapped in my own room behind closed doors. not studying, but mostly roaming around the internet. it's time to spend time with my family, be it as simple as watching tv with my mum after dinner or going to the market with her, dropping into my dad's entertainment room from time to time to find out what he's watching and join him if it's interesting, sitting by the sofa and accompany my sis watching animations on her laptop... perhaps a movie for the family to be played on the weekend, just to gather everyone by the smart tv that we bought recently. and also, i thought it would be nice to spend time with her family.

5. find a job that i like doing instead of the need to have a job and earn $ - many times i have vowed to myself that i will never do a job that doesn't interest me and make my life boring. but as that day drew nearer and nearer, i found myself becoming more scared that this vow that i made would not materialize with the practicality of the society that we all live in. within this sem, i would be looking for job opportunities, sending out resumes... and what i hope to find, is something that would bring life, into my life. although at the moment, i still dont really have a specific detailed idea of what that is. hopefully i have the courage and strength.

6. to not forget to smile when facing hardships - as i often procrastinate my work till deadlines, i often find myself being so stressed out over the work and lose sleep and appetite over them. that, i'm okay. but i just want to remind myself to smile despite all the pressure. just because smiling makes everything better. not only on my work, but more generally in life.

7. start on project 366 - as i start to leave school in mid-year, i would find myself detached from the school environment which i was so familiar with for the majority of my lived life. and one of the most regrettable stuffs i feel from all those years in school, is to forget your friends. it's terrible, but it's inevitable. project 366 is a thought that came months before my 21st bday as an inspiration to remember my encounters with friends, and also to see if ever, could anyone knows friends or people of all possible birthdays in a year. it was 365, but i thought i put in a challenge for 29th feb.

8. make a wooden craft again - it's an interest. the elegant showpiece of things made out of wood inspires me to do something similar. that although i can't do much with the small tools i have available in my house, i bet i still can do some stuffs.

9. throw away things that should be thrown - i guess it has always been on my mind to throw away things that should have be thrown years ago. yet recently, my gtb brought it up strongly enough for me to consider seriously throwing away my old clothes that i no longer wear, and i guess she would also recommend throwing away clothes that i no longer should wear. haha... this also applies to other stuffs also. the old floppy disks that i have in the drawers, old dragonball collecting cards, etc.. and i decided to throw away things of my past. it no longer holds any value and certainly, it's taking up space.

10.improve my fashion sense and buy more clothes - the clothes that i wear have never really been a concern for me except during chinese new year when buying new clothes is the tradition. i usually have troubles finding clothes, mostly because i have no idea what looks nice on me. i just find things that are similar to what i have, which i thought looked nice. things changed a bit ever since i met her, who doubled up as my fashion consultant. it does feel good to wear nice clothes. but sometimes, i just don't know if i have the ingredients right. whether i'm wearing matching clothes, whether i look okay, be it the clothes or me. it's assuring and comforting to know that i look more than fine with the compliments of hers.

11. take good care of myself and the ones around me - at times, i would let myself suffer. at times, i would torture myself by not enjoying. money issues, some other personality issues, i don't really know why. but the fact is, i'm not enjoying some aspects of life. like this laptop i'm using to type this post, it's free. i'm not enjoying it because it's sorta like a cheap stuff that comes free with the smart tv. i'm not enjoying it because i didn't actually buy it. retail therapy works quite fine on me. but because my retail therapy usually revolves around things that are highly priced, i'm largely limited and become more conscious of my needs and wants, short-term and long-term. that said, i'm not saying that i would spend all my money this year. but i would probably spend all during my grad trip becuz i don't have much in my account. i'm saying i should be more relaxed on my bank account so that i can take good care of myself, and the ones around me. it's worth to spend on myself, but i think it's more worth it to spend on others that i care about.

12. getting a driving license - it's time to get one.

so that's it, 12 resolutions for 2012.

spend the new year's eve at some park, camping there overnight to catch the first sun rise of the new year. we kinda entered the plan with much anticipation, but as the night came, that feeling of excitement wore off a bit. the stuffy atmosphere in the tent makes it rather uncomfortable to enjoy, and yet opening the flaps of the tent greatly reduced the privacy. what makes it worse is the heat that comes in the morning.

although the way to spend the eve wasn't as great as we thought it would be, we were still glad that we had each other by our side.

fyp's meeting up in 8 days, 3 days would be spent in KL, half a day is gone today. that means 4.5 days more of fyp report writing. i feel like sending an email now to both my profs saying that i won't be able to complete my 5 pages by then and just enjoy the rest of the holidays first. haha.. i can't remember a long period of time of me nuaing at home. first it was the internship, and then this holiday period has been quite happening. i like how this holiday turned out, eventful, spending time with her, enjoying the festivals... but i guess a period of nuaness/doing-nothing is good before i begin my final sem also.

well, happy new year~!

and my hotmail went down recently and i've changed to gmail (johnyquek@).

No comments: