Friday, December 16, 2011

Eventful holidays

It's been quite a rush since the exams have ended. First was the trip to telunas beach resort for ocip organized a Christian club in school. Those 7 days were quite nice as most of the times were relaxing, the other parts were building a wall around an elementary school under the hot sun and living in a kampung village. It's not easy getting used to their lifestyle especially when it's so different from our current one. Would talk about these 7 days perhaps after I get a new laptop. My Asus has finally died after 4 years. How nice. Right before my final sem.

The past three days were spent with kids. It was a kids camp organized by the welfare service club in school which I was asked to join by yn. I was initially quite reluctant, as I havent really been quite a kind figure I the kids my mum has been taking care of over the years. So I didn't really know if I can interact with them in a positive manner. Well, it turns out I'm pretty okay with it. My kid on the first day started out a bit cold, but eventually warm up to the camp after a while, and also warm up to me. My second and third day kid was the same. He was something like a small size leader in his own ways. The more interesting part of the camp is seeing the interactions btw the kids; chasing after one another regardless of gender, brothers fighting, arguments, talkin back. Just a few days and it's more than enough to tire most of the volunteers, imagine being a parent. At the end of the camp, my first day kid wrote me a card with drawings on it. He can draw quite well I must admit. At least better than me. Haha.. Hopefully I leave an inspiring image on them as I've wished to. Idolizing in a positive way, or modeling, is quite a good tool for the kids to grow. Not as rules, but as guidance. Could sense that some of them really liked my company, the small leader even asked me to go up on stage with them if they won a prize, which eventually we did, third! And my first kid was quite accepting of my lousy props-doing since he's the one who was going to wear it during the stage performance. It was nice seeing yn interact with the kids, especially the youngest and most troublesome of all in the group. All the fictional stories she came up with were kinda cute, with all games she played with him. Got a motherly feel to it. Haha..

Did some data entries this morning and now off to town to retrieve data from my spoilt laptop. Hungry, haven't had lunch.

No comments: